Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Into the great unknown!

I've been thinking lately about the legacy I want to leave and the tiny impact I will have on our planet. I believe that deep down, we don't want to be a virus to this planet- constantly consuming and giving little to nothing back to the only place we call home. So my mission is to try to reconnect and realistically lessen my "footprint" in a time geared towards consumerism. I can't go to college atm due to some complications I am working on resolving, but I would like reconnecting with the earth to be a lifelong goal and something I always seek to learn and improve upon. Having said that, I know I can't change the world on my own, but I would like my legacy to be that of love and balance. That maybe I can share my knowledge with my little droplet of community in the ocean of the human race and inspire them to take up the same torch. And while I won't be able to change the world, I believe droplets can become waves over time.

So that's why I am doing two things this year - grow an urban garden, and maintain a blog about it. :P Both are something I have little to no previous experience in ... Yay adventure! Time to take chances, make mistakes and get messy! \o/

Here are the plants I have decided to take a swing at :
Leafy Greens
Peppers
Onions
Strawberries
Squash
Tomatoes
Basil
Rosemary

I am fairly certain this will keep me busy while my foot heals. :P

I actually found a lot of websites to be quite helpful so far in my research on making a small balcony able to support such a project, but I will figure out a permanent place for them soon.

I am going to be spending the next few couple of weeks doing more research and getting materials together and hopefully get some seeds started! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Meg! I'm your 1st follower too and super exited! Though i'm gonna have to wait till the snow clears here to start mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome for a garden! I think after we move, I may try to do an herb garden again. Thus far I have a black thumb. If you find any good minor gardening for dummies tips, let me know. (BTW- Grats on the blog!!)

    ReplyDelete